Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Seventh Take

by Jefferson Hansen

                            (for the jazzers)

sound
          older than the skin
     I bare this
                 week
   improvised once
           20 years ago
                    and etched into acetate
skitters & traces
          coring me like
        marrow
    (I assume)
                        does bone

I know every note too well
for improvisation
having played this freezing time
                                                   & time

            I found myself old
last week
       more sudden than expected
     body dripping & falling into
           itself the way I suppose
        a specific record of this song
              could but not the recording
   itself
saved in vaults, servers, discs and so on
            all musicians dead
     save one
       the least famous

I heard him interviewed once, seemed
      a nice guy

      but I don’t want to be nice, not
now
            to curse my failings
        my body
     to yell about not going quiet into that good…

not being nice is fine
    but
            the cursing death part,
         the point,
    exactly—
              the pianist
          moves fingers /
        ghosts
to the right high notes
     now in my apartment
   & 20 years ago
             at the same time
         what was given us on
   the seventh take
of the seventh day
    when the doctor said, “

everyday on Facebook another picture pops up
     of the leader of these alive
            dead men
          popping their living
       dead fingers
                   & sticks
             across the oxygen in my apartment
         provided by my green
                greens doing
              so well so
    well I think

then again, I was never known for my thumb

    the present never was
but never not
           like now
       when the past
  ghosts us more than what we need
                   for response
              across the alley a boy
           hits a metal can in a strange
new beat
       I can’t hear for my stereo
   blaring a frozen improvisation
skittering away the new
           obscuring the now
      teaching me what I already know more
than even the makers of the original acetate
      , if the interview is to be believed,
   who moved on
      moved away
              creating unto death

it was
     on one level
              just the seventh take
          on a session that
    paid poorly
became so very well
  known but everyone
        needs sustenance
                 somehow

                  & how many pathways
               through my nerves
                             flesh
                     furrowed
                         by this very beat
                            momentum
             more alive than I
                will soon be
                       or maybe am




Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...