Friday, August 17, 2012

Short Fiction by Laura McCullough


Like Living

He owned a motorcycle and had a black belt in karate. He was blond and Italian. Taking classes. Wanted to be a detective.  Brought in the cycle for show and tell; it went with an essay he read to class. Then that news about him stepping in front of the train out of Atlantic City. The line to Philly stops in Absecon; stops in Egg Harbor. That’s where he did it, just near the crossing, just beyond Hoene’s Café where you can get eggs anytime of day, and pork roll and real locally made scrapple which is a mush of meat scraps—pork, beef, even deer around here—formed into a loaf and sliced and then fried, damn it’s good especially when it’s crusty and I don’t mind telling you I like it with ketchup. And a little bit of maple syrup spilling off a pancake to sweeten it, too, is nice, and though I haven’t had any in years, it makes me think of the south Jersey Pine Barrens, and of usefulness, a gastronomic pragmatism, using all the parts just like in a good hot dog, what the hell, and I don’t know why my student stepped in front of that train, except we love to ask why, to try and understand, but I wonder about his buddies, the other cops, his family, the Emergency folk called to the scene, the volunteers looking for parts, how they live with it, how the sound of the train makes them feel, how living in Jersey is like living anywhere, some train always coming, some tracks always ending nowhere.



Hold On, Please

When I woke that morning and went out to my little blue car with the paint peeling off the right side and opened the door to get in and found the note from my boyfriend telling me why he was leaving me this note in the middle of the night instead of knocking on the door and waking me up to talk or fuck or get some water or maybe a beer, that he was going to shoot himself because he couldn’t stand it anymore, I stood there reading his loopy handwriting like it was some kind of crazy love letter or a poem or a joke or a grocery store receipt or a brown leaf blown off the yard and into my car, but how could it get through the window, what is this? Is it for me? Shit, I better call him, and he didn’t answer, so I called his best friend, who said, yeah, J shot himself in the mouth with a rifle on the north end of Brigantine beach, and I said that’s a cruel joke, why would you make a joke like that, and the friend was dead calm, and said it again, and I said what I said again, only this time edging toward screaming, and you’re a jerk to say this thing, and why are you saying this, and he said call the Brigantine police, and so I hung up and called, and they said, hold on, please, and that silence was a space I know as a wound, as a pocket without a bottom, all the loose change of my life slipping out into the dirt.

________________________________

McCullough's work will appear in AlteredScale.com 2

Laura McCullough's next book of poems, Rigger Death & Hoist Another, is forthcoming in 013. Her most recent books are Panic, (Alice James Books), and Speech Acts (Black Lawrence Press).  She edits Mead: the Magazine of Literature and Libations at www.meadmagazine.org  Visit her website:  www.lauramccullough.weebly.com

No comments:

Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...