Sunday, December 2, 2012

Obedience In—a—Sense by Dan Ryan



Ah, my generation
America went to Viet Nam and
had a war
just for us
Ah, my generation
not the “me” generation
not the Woodstock generation
we are the Viet Nam generation
the wounded generation
the traumatized generation
the disillusioned generation who
continue to breath napalm and
piss agent orange
a generation defined by
an exercise in greed that
never needed to happen
from which nothing was learned
Ah, my generation
my fucked up, fucked over generation
spaced out on drugs
strung out on
the vulgarities and obscenities of
a violent, racist culture dependent on
a war-based economy for
the economic and political survival of
the Great Republic and
the sacred American Way of Life
Ah, my generation
We were bred and born – conscripted
really - did we have a choice?
1945 to 1954
innocents obediently raised on
the mythology of
the benefits of
a meat and dairy based diet of
white stream history
the self-serving lies testifying to
the sense of entitlement without
responsibility
guilt or
shame
the unholy holy agenda of Manifest Destiny
the requirement to equate invasion
occupation and
murder
with patriotism (whatever THAT is)
Ah, my generation   
believers who became non- believers in
anything institutional
utter contempt
disgust
mistrust from which
most of us never recovered
a generation that came of age and grew old in
an age of disbelief
solitude and
profound anxiety
Ah, my generation
Ginsberg howled for Solomon
I howl for us

__________________________

Dan Ryan will appear in AlteredScale.com 3, out in March, and he is a regular contributor to this blog.

After spending an extensive number of years attempting to save the world from itself while living in Olympia, Washington, I follwed my sweetie to Minnie's Apple Crisp in July, 2012.  Determined to approach life from a more obtuse angle, I am now a thoroughly committed Zen slacker, practicing guilt-free attachment to hanging out in coffee shops, reading all the wrong books, writing poetry, and enjoying other sensual pleasures with my partner. Dan Ryan will appear in AlteredScale.com 3, out in March. 

1 comment:

Oscar Sparrow said...

Thanks for this. You had me scrambling back to Ginsberg for his theory of poetic candour. You have said your truth very effectively here

Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...