Tuesday, October 15, 2013

unintended feeling



by Jefferson Hansen


We played basketball in the driveway of the
group home in a southern suburb of Minneapolis
—three developmentally disabled men and I.
They were all in their 40’s. They laughed
and giggled when one of them made a basket.
They sometimes pretended to buzz off each
others’ hair where their bald spots were.
I was a little annoyed to be at work,
but that doesn’t mean I didn’t love them.
A man slouched in a lawn chair on a driveway
across the street. He had a large gut, like me,
and he was drinking a beer—I could tell because
you sip at a beer with a more pecking motion than
you do with a pop, for instance. I, too, like beer.

sky opens sad                         english on bas
this day                                   ket
the trick                                  ball l
the try                                               i
the whelm of over                                k
in the trivial                                             e
trick                                        normandy

His garage door was open behind him, revealing some
thing clearly immaculate. Everything hanging in place,
nothing jammed between one of his trucks and
the wall, both trucks gleaming, rakes and tools
hooked on the walls, floor cleanly swept. Outside, a
glistening Harley. Gothic heavy metal poured and spread
from unseen speakers. It was big and snarly, like a
Harley. His entire yard was cleanly mowed. You could
still clearly see the straight line left by
the wheel of the mower. Absolutely straight. 

            i say, “this                               ball goes
            is how u                                  flat a
            play ‘h-o-r-s-e’                        gainst
            & i hear giggles                       the call the crack
            ripple &                                   the wacky      
            ride the autumn                      wir
            air clear like                                    i
            crisp we                                       n
            r not a                                        g
            lone                                         of this brain or

Just last week, I felt nostalgia for this kind of set
up when visiting a friend in a northern suburb.
I may, at some time, enjoy talking to the man across
the wide street about the latest Slayer concert he
attended, or the joys of motorcycle riding, or how best to
landscape (oh, his shrubs were perfect.) But not now.

(from beneath the soles of my feet to the blistering azure
of the sky i perceived that moment that day in the quiet
breeze the rustling of the leaves in that weird tree that
always dropped sap on my windshield in the guys saying,
“watch me make this, man, I’m a cool guy” in voices only
those used to them could understand against all I believe in

I hated
that man
across the street
as much as I
took joy
in my friends

pretending to buzz each other’s hair

No comments:

Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...