Sunday, April 2, 2017

A Bargain by Ann Tweedy

I peed the bed to comfort 
myself when I was little. Warmth and
a familiar, acrid smell enfolded 
me as I surrounded 
myself with myself.
But the embrace faded into shivers.

Why didn't I become a criminal 
with all the other bed wetters?
She's still inside me.  I ply
her with chocolate to stop her.

___________________________


Ann Tweedy is a poet, lawyer specializing in the representation of Indian tribes, and law professor who currently makes her home in Washington State.  Her poetry has been published in RattleClackamas Literary ReviewWisconsin Review, and Lavender Review, among other places.  Her first full-length book, The Body’s Alphabet, was published in 2016 by Headmistress Press and was recently named as a finalist for a Lambda Literary Award. 



No comments:

Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...