Thursday, April 6, 2017

Sorting the Mail

by Tom Cassidy, poet and reader
Wayne Nelsen, film

Audio starts about 20 seconds into film. The film is shown live with three screens—left, center, right. This is just the center screen since it translates to a blog the best. One other collaboration between Nelsen and Cassidy appears after "Sorting the Mail" ends, entitled "Gateway."  





Sorting the Mail
(text)

by Tom Cassidy


I get in bed and close my eyes
and try to think of nothing
but my nothing gets too busy
I can hear the stars
I’m wide awake
I go downstairs
to organize the mail
I put magazines and catalogs in one pile
letters and bills in another
and announcements for events
like Naked Hamlet on Ice in a third
I go to bed and close my eyes
then realize I’m wrong
I go downstairs
and put the letters with
the catalogs and magazines
I create a bills-only stack
I make a pile of stuff
I’m not going to open or answer
and a special group
for some pain-in-the-ass shows
I probably should go to
just to keep the fucking peace
I go to bed and close my eyes
and count the sheep
they look like wolves in drag
they complain about the job
it wakes me up
I go downstairs drink a cup of milk
a quart of beer a fifth of gin
a two liter bottle of Listerine I think it is
it could be Mr. Clean but I’m not sure
I take several multivitamins
made especially for writers
they contain predicates
niacin samurai-icin
bebop rum strychnine
red dots opiated adverbs
Spam bar brawl boners
horse spit nine volts
and fifty times the amount of salt that’s in the sea
I drink a bottle of cough syrup
with a label that says
Not for Human Consumption!
I go back upstairs
to the medicine cabinet
dump out all the older pills
from amber plastic tubes
and I grind them into powder
then go back downstairs
to make a smoothie
I mean all them are out of date
what could they possibly do to me?
make me   happy.    pain free!    
    energized and drowsy.    all at once?
I would fucking love that!
because of a piece
I saw on KARE 11
I roll up the linoleum and smoke it
something about the bacteria
that breeds in waxy buildup
I light it using the handy pocket blowtorch
that’s part of the Swiss-Army-Knife-like pocket tool
I got when I joined AARP when I turned ten
I see angels on the clouds that I exhale
and I notice that the clouds
are merely costumes worn by devils
and the devils look like writers
and the writers write like shit
the pocket tool also has
a knife a fork a stapler
a dolly a toaster a root cellar
a person to put out there on Lyndale Avenue
when you really really
need someone to hear you
do you know how hard that is in civil conversation?
and I simmer and flop
and throb and grok my eyes hum
and I wonder
as I’m sure you must wonder whenever you try to juggle while bungee jumping from a helicopter in a tornado that’s spitting flaming hail the size of baby fists
I wonder why the hell isn’t there
a better way to sort the fucking mail!?
I’m wide awake
and realize I’m wrong
I go downstairs
and stack the mail according to size
on top is a postcard from
the wildlife cartel asking me
if I received the ugly address labels
on the bottom are the new issues of Slime
and How to Sedate Yourself
in between are letters from writers I don’t understand
pictures of artworks I cannot decipher
drawings from friends who make me seem sane
and this stacking seems to work
but suddenly it doesn’t
so I go outside
and stand beneath the moon
    it’s 3 a.m.
no slamming dog or barking door
a block awayjust quiet and loud
and still and fast
like something momentous will happen
the moon might explode
a giant worm will burst up through the street
    my skin is vibrating
the silence so tight I hear six hundred sixty-six pins drop
my inner peace
is not at peace with anything
I do not feel a oneness with the universe
I can barely feel a oneness just with me
    here below the surface
a million miles from heaven
a final rung before you ditch the ladder
all the words and all the books
but I realize I’m wrong
I’m wide awake

I go downstairs to sort the mail

No comments:

Terrence Folz Reading From "Bunt Burke"

  Terrence Folz's chapbook  Bunt Burke will appear from The Circulatory Press in August 2021. The above film features him reading some o...